Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
633256315375131173.jpg

ViewSonic ViewDock 22†iPod Dock LCD
Available: Now
Price: $455.00

Everyone loves monitors. They’re like mini-TVs for your personal computing machine! There are just so many on the market, though.
PROS:

* iPod USB Pass-through
* Integrated 8-in-1 Card Reader
* Speakers for iPod Audio Playback

CONS:

* Expensive Compared to Similar LCDs
* Video from iPod Won't Output on Monitor
* iPod Dock Feature is Only Major Selling Point

This is a device that is just too specialized for its own good. As a dock for iPods, this is a decent product. The USB pass-through integrates the iPod dock into the monitor, making another dock taking up precious deck space unnecessary.

There are a few nice features that feel like they are tacked on like the 8-in-1 card reader and USB ports. They are useful and effective if you need them, but aren’t a selling point. You probably only use 1 format anyway.

The device is attempting to occupy an interesting place in your setup because it is a monitor that doesn’t do anything that a few USB cables can do. There is a single feature that I believe would make this monitor completely worth the money for certain users and it is outputting video from an iPod directly onto the LCD.

I sync my iPod at home, but use this monitor at work. I would love to be able to watch my videos on the 22†monitor without having to put the files on my work machine. The ViewDock will already play music off of an iPod through headphones hooked up to it, bypassing the computer entirely. Why not for video as well?

The bottom-line is that this monitor a little too expensive for the quality of the picture itself. It isn’t bad, but it isn’t exceptional. It sure isn’t better than the Samsung SyncMaster I reviewed last week, but the ViewDock is $100 more expensive. You’d need to really want an iPod dock in your monitor to get this.

Specs:

22†Widescreen
Native Resolution: 1680x1050
Contrast Ratio: 700:1
Brightness: 280 cd/m2
Response Time: 5ms

Back